Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Meeting Tessa!

The Rat
This week, Dr. Trench allowed me to choose my rat from a pool of around twenty identical Long-Evans rats. All of these rats are housed in the same room, allowing them to keep in touch with their sisters. I chose one rat from a cage of two - out of the couple, I chose the more timid/shy rat. I named her Tessa after a nervous, clumsy, anxious character in one of my favorite novels. Unfortunately, rats have yet to develop their own internet (like ants), so it was nice to know Tessa wouldn't be lonely when I took her away from her sister! Tessa shares a spot on the shelf right next to her old roommate, Hazel.

Before encountering the rats this week, I was honestly a victim of the negative portrayal of the species in popular media. While I understand their importance in research, I never expected to train a rat during my undergraduate career. Honestly, these rats defy all of the stereotypes to which I previously subscribed: they are clean (as Dr. Trench assured the class) and carry no diseases; they are more adorable than the rats depicted in my favorite childhood movies (ex: Lady and the Tramp); and, they are much easier to handle than any gerbil or rabbit I've owned as pets. 

My first experience with Tessa was a bit unnerving because she was so frightened of me. I was able to pick her up a few times during the lab period, but her anxiety was indomitable. Tessa clasped to my forearm after first picking her up, and her heart was racing for the entire experience. I tried a few strategies to calm her down: covering her eyes, letting her burrow between my elbow and torso, and petting her - unfortunately, I had to grab her by the tail when she tried to jump from my arm back into her cage. No harm done, though, and I suspect Tessa will adjust to my handling style quickly (as I will adjust my handling style to keep her calm).

I was thrilled to have the chance to interact with my new trainee, Tessa, during the first week of lab! The experience changed my perceptions of rats (at least the Long-Evans sisters), and my studies for class clarified the importance of rats in psychological research. I am excited to see what I can teach Tessa - as well as what she can teach me - during the next couple of months!

No comments:

Post a Comment